mgs

Re: Rebuilt Engine, No Oil Pressure

To: Graham Haber <graham@haber.net>
Subject: Re: Rebuilt Engine, No Oil Pressure
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 20:02:51 -0400
>After 15 years of good service my '66 MGBs began to show slightly
>diminished oil pressure. I decided it was time for a rebuild. I stripped
>the block sent it to a well reputed machine shop to have all the machine
>work done. I reassembled the engine with new parts and dropped it back
>in. I filled the engine and oil filter with oil. Without the ignition
>plugs installed I turned over the engine, no oil pressure at the gauge.
>I removed the hose to the oil cooler to see if oil was pumping through.
>With the hose disconnected and the engine turning over no oil came out.
>I started to think about what I could have done wrong. I thought about
>installing the new oil pump wrong but I think it only goes in one way.
>Perhaps the machine shop did not replace all the oil galley plugs. Then
>someone told me that it is easy for air to block the system and keep the
>pump from working. If this is true are there tricks for priming the
>system? Or are the other mistakes I could have made that would create
>this problem. I really need help.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Graham

Graham -

 Since B's had two or three different oil pump configurations over the
years, there are 2 or 3 oil pump gaskets that come in the gasket set.  If
you put in the wrong  one, it would block the oilway. Result: no oil
pressure.  You can't tell by examining the way the gasket mates to the pump
(at least I can't) but you can tell when you mate the gasket to the block.
You may have to drop the sump and pull the pump out to check. Do NOT start
your engine until you can get oil pressure spinning it on the starter with
the plugs out.

 I  filled the pump with oil and stuffed grease in the pump oilways (it's
been awhile,  so I can't remember exactly how, but Haynes, Bentley, or
Twist will have the answer).  ' Think I remember somebody recommended white
lithium grease for this.  One of my rebuilt engines sat on the stand for
almost a year before the car was ready for it.  The oil pressure still came
up right away when spinning it on the starter with the plugs out.

I understand this is a pretty easy mistake to make.  Good luck.

Allen

Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
New Castle, VA 24127