mgs

Re: Transmission oil

To: Jay and Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>,
Subject: Re: Transmission oil
From: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 11:39:28 -0600
Comments in below...

At 10:13 AM 12/28/98 -0600, Jay and Mike Hartwig wrote:

>"Michael P. Ohleger" wrote:
>>
>> Mike,
>>
>> DON'T use 90 wt oil in the OD unit!!!!!  You are correct in using 20w50,
but you
>> must remember that these components were designed with tolerances for
that weight
>> engine oil and usually Castrol.  The synthetics are fine, but in my limited
>> experience (and boy am I gonna catch it from the list on this) since
synthetics
>> were not around when MGs were designed, I would not think it prudent to
use them
>> in your car under any circumstances.  Stick to Castrol 20w50 and you
won't go
>> wrong.
>
>90 wt gear oil and 20w50 are the same viscosity at 20 degrees Celcius.
>Remember, gear oil and motor oil are gauged on different scales.
>To say that synthetics should not be used in older cars is ludicrous.
>The synthetics are more likely to cause leaks in an auto that previously
>has used dino oil, but that has already been mentioned in another post.
>I don't see a compelling reason to use the synthetic in a water pumper
>such as the MGB.  It's funny though, because I like Castrol, but anyone
>who drives a Porsche, curses Castrol.  They claim it causes low oil
>pressure and increased sludge buildup. I will still use Castrol in my
>MGB, but synthetic in the P-car.

Now thats interesting.  My neighbor with a 72 P-car has always run Castrol
and wont run Syn becasue it will leak more.  He has never had a oil related
problem with castrol.  Good pressure and no sludge.  Go figure.

>Sorry, got off topic there.  I use 20w50 in my tranny, but I may switch
>to a 30 wt.  I'll post how it goes.
>
>jay
>
>BTW.Porsche guys love Swepco 90 wt for their trannies.  Don't know if
>it's worth the money for MGB tranny.  They are already smooth and
>silky;  Probably why they can't handle any power. :)

Yeap, thats the blue stuff, I think it is syn as well.  $30 a gallon if you
are a P-club member.

I use Redline MTL in the tranny and Redline 75W90 in the rear axel and
mobil one 15W50 in the crank case.  Why, piece of mind.  Of course they all
drained out because my car is in 1K pieces right now!