mgs

Re: Suspension Bushings

Subject: Re: Suspension Bushings
From: Steve Bettencourt <steveb5815@edgenet.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 08:10:16 -0500
Hi Phil,
I used the Energy Suspension poly bushings from VB in my '79 front end.
They seem to work very well but I had to cut the sway bar pivot bushings in
half because I got tired of trying to squish them through the hole. I don't
find the ride all that harsh.
As for compressing the springs, there was a lot of talk on this subject
about 6 months ago. I got lucky (or it is the way these things are made)
because I disconnected the lower pivot and just lowered the spring
pan/lower control arm ass'y until the spring was free. The spring is
actually shorter than the open assembly. Be it known that on the first
spring I wired a cable to catch the spring if it flew out - but it was
unnecessary.

At 08:29 PM 5/29/98 -0400, Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com> wrote:
>Ok, so now we all know I have to replace bushings in front and rear
>suspension.  I was going to buy the polyeurythane upgrades to the regular
>rubber ones, but maybe I should wait.  I may be buying different springs
>front and back to lower the supspension a bit for better handling.  If I do
>that within 6 months to a year will I have to replace the rubber parts?  Is
>this lowering worth it in the list's opinion?
>
>And lastly a question on removing the front coils.  I planned on using the
>Hayne's manual's method of long bolts and nuts.  Then I saw a tool in the
>VB catalog for compressing the springs.  Anyone used it?  Is using the bolt
>method really all that much more difficult?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Philip
>Burgundy 1974 Midget

Steve Bettencourt