mgs

Re: electrical fire ;-

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: electrical fire ;-
From: John Hunt <johnhunt@ece.ogi.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 13:31:59 -0700 (PDT)
Glen:

To safely diagnose the site of your short circuit you might
try the following:

1.  Turn off all switches.

2.  Don't directly connect up the battery.  Instead,
put a 12v test light in series between the battery post
and the battery cable.  If you don't have a test
light, you can make one with a tail lamp bulb and a lamp
socket from an auto parts store.  Even if there is a short
somewhere, the light bulb will limit the current to safe levels.

3.  If you have a good solid short somewhere the light will
be bright.  Now the plan is to disconnect things until the
light goes out.  A good, easy place to start would be to
disconnect each fuse in turn.  Try to be systematic in what
you disconnect.

That will help pinpoint where your short(s) are located.

I certainly would want to have a full wiring diagram before
starting out.  A trip to the local copy shop might also
be in order:  use one of the enlarging copiers so you don't
go blind looking at the wiring diagram.

Good luck!

John Hunt
Portland, Or.