mgs

Re: Adjusting valves..

To: skye@jungle.direct.ca
Subject: Re: Adjusting valves..
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 18:23:58 EST
Skye,
  The crankshaft position is not usually a factor, unless this is some
strange engine that powers her car.  What you want to accomplish is to
have the rocker of the valve you are adjusting as open as possible at the
time you make the adjustment. How does one know?  Hard to tell directly.
Fairly easy to tell, indirectly.
  In a four-cylinder engine, where the firing order is the conventional
1-3-4-2,
adjust valve 1 when valve 8 is fully open (rocker fully pressed down)
                       2                      7
the numeric sum of valve to be adjusted plus valve that should be open =
9.
  Go for it.
Bob