mgs

re: end of the road

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re: end of the road
From: Jack Emery <jemery@mint.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 22:50:33 -0500
Dave and I don't always agree, but he has a valid concern.  Some MGB's are
overvalued and are driving prospective owners away and affordable ones are
usually in need of big $$$ to bring up to minimum standards.  But.....when
values inflate,  the price of parts and parts cars go up and even less
people DRIVE the cars.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
I think it is sad that most young folks will never have the fun of fooling
around with an old sportscar.  You can't put a price on the value of
learning to solve real problems with just your wits and a few tools.  People
ask how we drive all over the country in a 30 year old car.  Easy, when it
breaks you fix it.  Just like when I was young and poor.  I guess the real
difference today is that most potential MG owners are in the habit of
viewing cars as an appliance.  Then they buy an old MG and get the big wake
up call.  Any old, unmaintained car is unreliable, plain and simple.
I hope the speculators and people looking for a "cute little car" buy
something else.  I can be very happy driving cheap, fun cars.
I do appraisals on Brit cars and see some real beauts.  The number of people
who want insurance appraisals on a rubber bumper "B" that they have
purchased for $7,500 and is actually worth $3,500 outnumber the decent cars
5 to 1.
MG's were cheap, entry level sportscars.  They are not Jags and don't
pretend to be.  MG owners on the other hand run the gamut from contented
hobbyists to collectors of rare and exciting motorcars.  At least that's how
they view it.
As far as the public awareness, aware of what?  That I have a really cool
car and they don't?  Don't want them too aware or the car too desireable
'cause carjackings don't sound like fun.

Jack Emery
'67 MGB V-8
Safety Really Fast