mgs

Re: Stubborn hood snaps

To: joseph_cianciotti@ccmail_gw.gmosf.com
Subject: Re: Stubborn hood snaps
From: ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 13:17:02 -0500
joseph_cianciotti@ccmail_gw.gmosf.com wrote:

<snip>

> I have a couple of stubborn snaps on my removeable hood.  Is there a trick to
> getting these things fastened? Would the problem reside in the hood snaps or
>the
> studs on the rear deck?  What should I look at first?

Joseph:

I assume you're talking about the lift-the-dots on the rear deck of the
MG, not the snap fasteners inside the car.  The problem is more likely
to be with the portion of the lift-the-dot on your hood, rather than the
stud on the car (unless, of course, the stud moves around a lot). The
fasteners are notorious for getting 'sprung' and needing to be replaced.
You can get a kit for doing this from Moss, Vicky B, TRF, etc.,
including several lift-the-dots and the little punch tool for installing
them. Very cheap, and they're easy to fix. Easier if the hood is not on
the car, I must add, but a suitable block of wood as an 'anvil' will be
fine. I've replaced several on Rags this way, and the new ones work just
fine.

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'
RD#373750