mgs

warning against possible credit card fraud

To: mglist <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: warning against possible credit card fraud
From: Gen <glcory@artsci.wustl.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 19:48:34 -0500 (CDT)
This is for real, I just called.
Genevieve Cory
'71 MGBGT

<forwarded>
It just so happens that last night, DATELINE did an investigative report
on how  credit card fraud through identity fraud has become a rampant and
effective crime  which proves to be a financially destructive and
bureaucratic nightmare  which  holds its victims hostage for years to
come....

 Your name, social security number, current address, previous addresses,
mother's maiden name, birth date, and other personal information are now
available to anyone with a credit card through a new Lexis database
called  P-Trax. As I am sure you are aware, this information could be used
to  commit credit card fraud or otherwise allow someone else to use your
identity.

 You can have your name and information removed from this list by making
a  telephone request. Call (800) 543-6862, select option4 and then option
3  ("all other questions") and tell the representative answering that you
wish  to remove your name from this P-trax database. You may also send a
fax  to 1930  (513) 865-7360, (when I called today after business hours,
the number was (513) 865-1930) or physical mail to LEXIS-NEXIS / P.O. Box
933 / Dayton,  Ohio 45401-0933. Sending physical mail to confirm your name
has been  removed is always a good idea.

 As word of the existence of this database has spread on the net,
Lexis-Nexis  has been inundated with calls, and has set up a special set
of operators  to  handle the volume. In addition, Andrew Bleh (rhymes with
"Play") is a  manager responsible for this product, and is the person to
whom  complaints  about the service could be directed. He can be reached
at the above 800  number. Ask for extension 3385. According to Lexis, the
manager  responsible is Bill Fister at extension 1364.

 I called this morning and had my name removed. The representative will
need  your name and social security number to remove you from the list. I
suggest  that we inundate these people with requests to remove our info
from the  list  and

FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO EVERYONE WE KNOW!!!!