mgs

RE: car runs on one cylinder

To: mgs@autox.team.net, wesgrady@csbh.mhv.net
Subject: RE: car runs on one cylinder
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 14:56:14 -0400

> Denise, I think maybe there was still a sparkplug in there someplace.  A =
> diesel has a compression ratio of about 25:1.  It would be impossible to =
> shave that amount of metal off of anything in the engine.  Not that I =
> would ever doubt the veracity of Royalty, my lady, but the plug must =
> have been hidden from your eyes.

Wes,

My diesel has 22 to 1 compression and runs fine, on #2 fuel oil. You
need much less compression pressure to ignite gasoline, especially 87
octane. I have seen high compression gasoline engines (10.5:1) deisel just fine
on low octane gasoline.

There is a (great) show, from England, on A&E (or Discovery) called
'Secret Life of Machines'. On it I saw a demo of a closed end tube with
a close fitting rod (piston). When the rod was installed it would move
up and down but the trapped air couldn't escape. The host put a few
drops of 'petrol' in the tube and placed the rod in. He then hit the
rod with a hammer and compressed the fuel/air and caused a small
explosion that forced the hammer and rod up and out to demonstrate the
diesel principle and the volitility of gas.

- -Mark "Kids, don't try this at home" Jurras   = =o&o