mgs

Re: anthropomorpizing (sp?)

To: MGS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: anthropomorpizing (sp?)
From: Croaker the Physician <markl@us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 95 13:56:53 PST
   Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 16:51:51 -0700
   From: macleodm@cadvision.com (Michael MacLeod)

   Is it just me?  Am I the only one who refuses to encumber an automobile,
   no matter how cherished, with a name?

IMHO names are fine as long as they are somewhat self-deprecating, an
acknowledgement of the fallibility of British iron and at the same time a
slight tweak to the noses of those who over-anthropomorphise what is, after
all, just a bunch of metal (probably rusting), wood (probably suffering from
dry rot), bubble gum (keeps the carpets down), and baling wire (probably
holding your muffler on).

Examples of good car names: "Pokey", "You Bastard", "Old Unreliable", or if
you are really going out on a limb, "The Car".  Then there is my car's (1962
MGA 1600 Mk-II) name: "Geezer".  Variants (Wheezer, for example), are also
appropriate.

markl

Mark L. Lambert
Mobile Systems Group