mgs

Re: Ray on rust (shorter)

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu, mgs@autox.team.net, shammatt@sos.sos.net
Subject: Re: Ray on rust (shorter)
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrington.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 14:52:18 -0400

> On Wed, 4 Oct 1995, "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu> wrote:
> >Because rust is such a problem for us, I thought it might be useful to
> >report some of my experience (gained from watching my cars disappear).
> >
> >I had the dealer rustproof a new 71 Toyota Corona Mk II.  The application
> >was very spotty.  Where the coating was present, it protected the metal,
> >but there were more voids than coverage.  The car rusted severely by the
> >time it was 4 years old.

- -snip- -

> >The next reasonably controlled experiment was a new 81 Toyota Corolla
> >sedan, which was rustproofed new by TuffCote-Dinol.

- -snip- -

> >All four doors rusted severely, beginning within 3 years.  Rust in the
> >doors was much more severe than in those of a friend's identical car that
> >was driven farther, left outside daily, and unrustproofed.  On the whole,
> >I feel this treatment did more harm than good,

> >My 87 Prelude was waxoyled by the dealer when new.
- -snip- -

> >I kept the car 7 years.
> >At the end of that time, there was a rust perforation on an inner fender
> >panel where the bumper attaches (missed application, I suspect) and some
> >rust starting in the seam between inner and outer rear fenders in just one
> >place.  Other than this, the body was very well preserved.
> >
> >I applied waxoyl myself to a new 89 Accord.  It was in good condition
> >when traded after 5 years.
> >
> >In between these others, I had a variety of cars including an elderly
> >Blazer that had been sprayed underneath annually with used engine oil.
> >The coating seemed extremely effective where it could remain in place,
> >but it was easy to wash off.  My comments on oil treatment below.

- -snip- -

The Japanese did not do an adequete job of rust proofing/rust resistant
design when they started importing to the US. The earliest cars sheet
metal was very thin and unprotected. They then shipped them across the
ocean without much regard to keeping the cars protected from the
elements. The rusting started while the cars were at the docks waiting
to board, and continued all the way to the states. US owners compounded
the problems by covering the rusty/salty metal areas with some form of
goo, and their cars disappeared before there eyes.

As for Ray's Blazer experiment, I coat the underside of my B with oil
every time I drive and it's automatic! :^)

- -Mark "Why should I buy Japanese when they can't buy American?" Jurras