mgs

Re: Pos/Neg

To: ARAMM@sv.tbgi.com, marc@crl.com
Subject: Re: Pos/Neg
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrington.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 11:15:34 -0400

> Generator repolarization is simple -- you "arc the field" --
> engineerspeak for connecting everything backwards and then basically
> shorting the thing out.  One tip:  disconnect your distributor lead wire
> and the ignition coil when you do it so as not to risk destroying
> them...and be sure to connect up the coil backwards when you're finished.
>
> Steps:
>
> 1) > 2)> 3)
> 4) Connect negative battery post to body ground
> 5) Hold lead connected to positive battery terminal in the vicinity of
> the terminal on the generator (No need to touch it; the "arc" should jump
> a couple of inches)

Am I wrong or does it take somthing like 60,000 volts to ionize the air
enough to get a two inch arc. I have not converted my BGT so I haven't any
experiance doing this but I would think with 12 volts you may need to contact
the terminal to get enouch current flow to repolarize the magnets in the
generator.

> Happy arcing.
>
> -- Marc
>
> GHN3/8214