Re: Some more observations

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Some more observations
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 00:51:37 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Probably the easiest and cheapest way to convert to EFI is to bolt on a Holley Commander throttle-body system. They go fairly cheap on E-bay. That will take care of all your idle and cold-start problems. No taller than a regular carb (might even be shorter).

I'm planning on using an Electromotive system on the 4.9 Rover I'm building right now. The plan is to hook it up to the existing Rover EFI hardware. The cool thing about the Electromotive system is that it handles fuel management and spark, so I can get rid of the distributor, and you can log the O2 sensor readings while driving, and determine your volumetric efficiency from that, and program a correct fuel curve in w/o going on a dyno. Yeah, there's alot more to it than that, but the beauty is that you can tell exactly what is going on in your engine by looking at the data stream. Also, if I get a curve that works great for a particular configuration of Rover V-8, I can e-mail it to someone else who is using the Electromotive system, and they can drive with it. Or if you are having problems, you can e-mail the data to the company, and they can help you find the problem. Tuning your car from you desk!!
Even though I haven't bought the ECU yet, you can download the software from the Electromotive site, and play around with it on your PC. You can customize your spark advance w/o ever having to play with springs, counterweights or vacuum diaphragms. Of course, the user manual probably makes it look alot easier than it is!
Fun stuff.
James J.

///
/// mgb-v8@autox.team.net mailing list
/// Send admin requests to majordomo@autox.team.net
/// Send list postings to mgb-v8@autox.team.net
/// Edit your replies! If they include this trailer, they will NOT be sent.