Found a MGB V8 for $4000 US, but it is too far for me...

To: "MGV8 list" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Found a MGB V8 for $4000 US, but it is too far for me...
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:34:17 -0700 (MST)
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I found an MGB V8 for sale in Canada, but for the work that needs to be
done to it to make it nice, and the additional transportation costs, it
is too much $ for me.  If you live up there it might be another story.

It is at British Motors in BC.  www.vsi.bc.ca/britishmotors

They will be restoring it once they get to it. For now, the info is as
follows:

The car still has its California title, so there is
nothing special to do in the way of registration.

The engine is the Buick 215 (forerunner of the Rover).

It's a very honest little car in that there are no hidden surprises.
The
interior is even passable with a seam re-sew needed on one seat.

The car will need paint at some time, as it has a few chips and
scratches,
but not bad for 30 year old paint.

-----
They sent pictures and I asked a few questions and they replied again:
----

Yes the drivers side footwell has been cut out to gain clearance
for the clutch arm.  I have cut out a section from a parts car so it
can be
put back though.

When I built my V8 MGB many years ago I solved the problem
by shortening the clutch throwout fork.  If I had to do it again the
new
hydraulic throwout bearing are definitely the way to go.  I am not sure
how
much my dad has told you so I'll give you a quick rundown.

- the body is incredible original paint, and not a rust bubble
anywhere, and
no accidents

- The engine is fresh (almost zero miles), re-done by the shop teacher
we
got the car from.  the car pulls extremely strong especially as the
rpm's
come up as the cam is quit lumpy.

- through the fenderwell RV8 style (handmade) headers

- GM 4 barrel manifold with carter 4 barrell carb

- aluminum case muncie 4 speed transmission with hurst shifter, a very
valuable tranny to the muscle car guys, but a camaro 5 speed would
better
suit the car

- mallory unilite electronic ignition distributor

- the car has a small electric fan in front of the radiator, a 14" or
16" on
the backside of the radiator is needed

-Exhaust still needs to be done car is VERY loud right now, but what a
sweeeet  sound!

- The shop teacher used the stock buick oil filter base which will not
work
with a mg conversion.  Currently there is no oil filter used on the car
as
the steering rack sits right where the filter should sit, and the ports
are
blocked off.   The solution is to use a buick v6 oil pump base(or an
aftermarket MG V8 one) that angles forward then you can use a oil
filter.
Also because the shop teacher used the stock oil pump base he added
spacers
about 1" tall between the front suspension crossmember and the body to
gain
clearance between the oil pump base and the steering rack.  Once the
car has
the proper oil pump base the spacers can come out, and the crossmember
put
back in the proper place.

- I have only driven the car maybe 1 mile or so because I didn't want
put time on the engine without an oil filter in place, but in that
short
time all basic mechanicals seemed good

I think I have covered most of the details on the car, but if you have
any
further questions please feel free to write, or give us a call at (250)
763-0883

I have the pictures they sent me on my are at:

http://lundgren.thornton.co.us/~lundgren/mgbv8

They are about a meg worth of pictures, and I didn't make it fancy at
all.

I have no $ interest, but did tell them I would mail the list because
they were nice enough to answer all my questions.

To transport the car from Canada to Colorado and do all of the needed
work, just didn't make $ sense.  I will do my own before that, but if
you live up in the area....

--
Andrew Lundgren
lundgren@byu.net