Rover oil pumps- new issue MGV8 Newsletter

To: Kurt Schley <MGV8NEWS@aol.com>
Subject: Rover oil pumps- new issue MGV8 Newsletter
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:19:28 -0500
Cc: MGV8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Kurt-

First I want to say thank you for 9 years of publishing the Newsletter.
It has been a constant source of information & enjoyment to me, & I am
sure, to many others. I think you have done an outstanding job, & you
will be missed. Best wishes for your new responsibilities at work.

On page 4 of the issue just received, I finally stopped looking at the
picture, & read about the Rover oil pumps. I would like to offer a minor
correction regarding the 1994 & up front covers.

There are 3 versions of the late front cover with serpentine drive & the
gerator oil pump that I know of, there may be more. The first covers had
a provision for a distributor, I assume this was early 1994. Later
covers had a boss where the dizzy would go, but the hole was not
drilled. These versions were used on the 3.9 & 4.2 engines. A later
version was shorter front to back, & had no provision or even space for
a distributor. These must have been used with the 4.0 & 4.6 engines with
some version of crank fire ignition.

The point of all this, is that the first 2 versions can be fitted to any
of the Rover 3.5, 3.9, 4.2 engines, as well as the Buick/Olds 215
engines. They do not require a longer crank, but they do require a
longer crank key, as the key is what drives the oil pump. The longer key
is standard with later Rover engines, but not the earlier 3.5, & not the
GM engines.

I now have a running, driving 215 Buick with the 1994 up front cover.
All that was required was to have the original keyway lengthened on the
crank & purchase a longer Rover key. That was the simple part. Fitting
the engine with that cover was a whole new set of problems.

See you in Florida, I hope.

Jim Stuart