RE: Capri Brake upgrade

To: <EPRacer@aol.com>, "MG V8 List" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Capri Brake upgrade
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 16:45:23 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Lyn, thanks for the response.  Promise not to pass you?  Hmm, of course
(snicker).

So here's the deal.  The MGB front calipers are marginal, and my vintage racing
rules require drums on the back.  I have heard the TR7/8 caliper will fit on the
MGB with only a small modification to the backing plate.  Carrying that thought
out, if the Capri fits the TR7 then they may fit the MGB.

My objective is a larger friction material foot print.  My choices may be: the
standard MGB pads, the MGB V8 pads, the TR7/8 pads, and now the Capri pads.
Looks like you might be the person that would know which is bigger, the TR or
the Capri pads.

Here's a tip I got from a fellow B racer just a few minutes ago.  "According to
Ted Schumacher, TS Imports, the 240Z pads will fit if you
enlarge (lengthen) the slot in the calipers.  These pads are MUCH larger."  This
may be something that might work with the TR too???

Utimately, like all these conversions it probably is going to require that all
the parts get together!  Then choose what fits what.

If you want me to chase down the cost of a right caliper send me the part
number.  My local NAPA people are very friendly and helpful (I just put a Rover
engine in my street B and have spent A LOT of time there sorting out odd
issues).

By the way I'm in Denver so passing you might be a challenge!

I might be attending the MGB V8 convention in Sebring in March however ... so
you never know.

Larry Hoy