Re: cooling problem?

To: BlkfxdWG@aol.com
Subject: Re: cooling problem?
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 20:16:49 -0400
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Carl & all

I have been driving one or another V8 MGB's daily since 1986, & have not seen
this problem. GM did not have this problem with the thousands of 215's it sold,
they all shut off hot water flow to the heater. Rover & MG did not have this
problem with the P-6 V-8 Rover, the 3500 Rover or the factory MGBGTV8. These
cars all had valves to shut off water flow to the heater as does every car I
have any personal knowledge of, Chevys, Plymouths, & the odd Buick & Bronco.

A quick trip to your friendly auto parts store- a REAL one, not Trak or similar-
will put you in front of a catalog showing the hundreds of heater shut off
valves for virtually every car made in the last 20 years.

I have not seen the article, so I do not know if the quote below is accurate,
but I assume that it is. I cannot see any connection to heater flow & the
thermostat. There is no direct flow between the heater & thermostat, the other
end of the path ends at the water pump, not the thermostat. The statement just
does not make sense.

There is a possible overheating problem that involves the heater. If the heater
is not filled when the cooling system is filled- remember the instructions to
have the heater on?- a fair amount of air will be trapped in the heater core &
lines. That air can-may-not will- work its way into the coolant circulation
where it can create an "air block" or steam pocket. This will definitely cause
cooling problems. I have had that experience, & it isn't fun The temp gauge will
swing wildly & scare the hell out of you.
My VDO was pegged at 300` plus, then dropped to 160`, back to 280` & so on.

Lets put this to bed & not create another inaccurate urban legend.

Jim Stuart