RE: Progress update

To: <jimbb88@erols.com>
Subject: RE: Progress update
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 21:17:12 -0600
Cc: "MG V8 List" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
>You can spin the engine 'till next Fri. & still not get oil pressure.
Hopefully, you packed the oil pump gears with the extra jar of  Vaseline.

Yep, I got my engine "built" so I took the oil pump apart and made sure.

> If so, the best way toprime your engine is with a piece of 1/2" steel rod or a
large
>straight screwdriver with the handle cut off....

My friend, Al Wulf came over on Friday to help me, he carried in a "tool" he got
from some parts store for a small block Chevy.  Yes, it's an "oil pressure
cranking tool".  I think he said he paid $6.00 for it.  So I get to use it
first, since his car is about two weeks behind mine!

> If your oil pump has not been "Vaselined", you may never get oil pressure.
Voice of experience.

That's how we gain wisdom!

I've got oil in the engine, coolant in the engine/radiator, Dextron in the T-5,
just finished all the heater plumbing, cooling fan is installed.

Tonight I crawl under it and hook up the starter wires, get oil pressure,
install the distributor and spark plug wires, check cooling fan operation, stare
at the car for awhile (it's a Zen thing), and go to bed.  Tomorrow a.m. I crank
it up.  In stall the hood and go for a ride.

Wish me luck!

Larry