Re: Triumph Rims

To: arun.singh@rcn.com, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triumph Rims
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 10:32:10 EDT
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
In a message dated 8/7/2000 9:39:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
arun.singh@rcn.com writes:

> I have just started converting my 1972 MGB-GT to a Buick 215.  Blame....I
>  mean thanks goes to Jim Stuart into motivating me into taking on the task.
>  All the emails I have read have been very insightful.  My question is:
>
>  Is it possible to use Triumph TR-6 rims on 1972 MGB-GT?
>
>  If so, does anybody know what modifications need to be made to the fenders
>  to accomodate the larger size tire?

Arun,

I can't state for certain that TR6 wheels will fit, but I can give you some
information to help you decide.

First, remember that the MGC used a 15 x 5 inch wheel, so the 15 inch aspect
is not a problem. The MGC wheel had five lugs, though, so they will not fit.

The TR6 wheel bolt pattern is the same. The TR6 uses 7/16" lugs, whereas the
MGB uses 1/2" lugs, but the holes in the TR6 wheels are large enough to
accept the 1/2" MG lugs (I just checked that a few minutes ago).

The TR6 wheel is 15 x 5 1/2, with a back spacing of 3 1/2".  The MGBGT wheel
is 14 x 5, with a backspacing of 4 1/16".

Hope this helps.

Dan Masters
Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook
http://members.aol.com/danmas6/