RE: what ford 8 inch rearend came with posi

To: <DANMAS@aol.com>, <DigiFX@coastalnet.com>, <jphillips@cvalley.net>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: what ford 8 inch rearend came with posi
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 09:58:14 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I race a 1967 MGB, here's what I have found out about the clutch type and the
gear type Limited Slip Differential (LSD).

The gear type LSD only works if there is some resistance on *both* wheels.  If
one of the tires is up in the air, or has zero resistance, then the gear type
LSD sends the power to the lifted wheel, not very effective.  Some how the gear
type recognizes it needs to move power to the wheel with traction until the
point one wheel has no traction, then it moves the power to that wheel.

The clutch type LSD is just the opposite, if a rear wheel has lifted, the power
goes to the wheel on the ground.  Unlike the gear type, generally the clutch
type is adjustable.  The adjustment allows you to set how much slip is allowed
before lock up.  This type LSD continues to move power to the wheel with
traction even if one of the wheels lifts.

Bottom line?  Lift a rear wheel with the gear type LSD, and it becomes
ineffective.  Lift a rear wheel with the clutch type, very effective.

Maintenance?  Gears don't wear, clutches do.

Which is better?  Depends on what the vendor you are talking to sells.

What do most road race cars use?  Clutch type.

What about steering?  Both will cause under steer.

What do I use on my race car?  Nothing, so what the h_ll do I know??!!

Larry Hoy, who will be driving his V8 within 10 days.