Water pumps & head studs

To: "BV-8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Water pumps & head studs
From: "Slim's mail" <hmfinc@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 11:04:15 -0600
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Yes, bad plan. Just the thought, What is the life span of any water pump? to
put it in such a dangerous place, bad move! It bit a lot of SAABs too. they
finally got the message and moved it out side and straightened the head
studs.  The angled head stud pain had another ill effect. Most auto machine
shops in the US had no equipment to strain the head back straight when
resurfacing and almost all overheated heads on 7s bowed up in the center. If
the head was just resurfaced as is, the cam bore was then bowed which broke
camshafts and most machine shops didn't have a boring bar that size. Even if
you found a boring bar then the center 2 cyl. valves were too long and fancy
tricks were necessary to get them to work. Not to mention that # 1 & # 4 now
had a higher compression ratio than 2 & 3.
Knowing all this, I still love and drive a 7 almost every day. I plan a page
on my web site about the TR-7.

Howard
hmfinc@mindspring.com
http://hmfinc.home.mindspring.com