Re: Disappointment for the day

To: "mgb-V8 list" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Disappointment for the day
From: "Ron Howard" <DigiFX@coastalnet.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 15:52:38 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Glenn...I hear you,guy...this is a good time for you to come to terms with
several facts of life, or you are not going to enjoy this adventure of
building your dream car. I'm guessing you haven't done a project of this
magnitude before...Why would I say that?...Only because you sound exactly
like I did before actually realized how much work, trouble, blood, sweat,
and tears this would take. Everybody's experience is not the same of course,
but based on 20 years experience of owning/maintaining MGs, total rebuild
and modification of one 1970 Triumph Bonneville motorcycle, and the
conversion of B-GT>Buick 215, I suggest the following: However long you
think your project will take...triple it, and be prepared to extend that
shedule as well...it is a conservative estimate. The financial costs will
increase by about the same amount...2 to 3 times. The project will grow...as
you see, it already has, and you haven't hardly started. (I put ALL my spare
time and energy into my conversion. It took me nearly 2 years to build my
Buick 215 motor at a cost of many thousand dollars...I had expected
hundreds. I spent 6 months getting it into the car, and another 6 months to
fine tune it. This is not to discourage you at all. Just accept that this
thing is going to take as long as it takes. There are many things you cannot
hurry...other people's actions and service. I waited 6 months to get a cam
ground...I was originally told it would take a couple of weeks. Following
professional advice, I totally ruined the valve spring seats, and had to
have everything welded up to cut new ones. Nobody took responsibility for
anything. I spent way too many sleepless nights wondering if $6000 worth of
parts would ever actually be anything else. By the time you finish, you will
think of several things you did in the beginning that you wish you could do
over again a different way. But at some point, you have to stop planning and
start doing. In doing you learn new things and it becomes impossible to be
totally happy with the things you did before you got so experienced. Look at
 it this way...now you will build a new motor and you will know everything
there is to know about that engine....much better than some unknown motor at
any price.  Hoping I don't come across as too much of a know-it-all.....
ron howard