Re: Steering

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 20:06:26 EDT
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
FWIW:

A. The Jaguar XKE, Triumph TR6, and AC Cobras all came from the factory with
2 U-joints.

B. I have 4 in my TR6 V8 steering, and my set-up has had the personal
blessing and approval of the owner/president of Borgeson universal joint co.
It's too early to say yet how it will feel on the road, but the steering
feels just as smooth and precise on jack stands with 4 joints as my stock TR6
feels with 2. Borgeson U-joints are QUALITY components, with imperceptible
play (damned expensive, though).

C. There are tens of thousands of street rods on the road with 2, 3, or 4
U-joints.

Based on very limited personal experience, but LOTS and LOTS of research, I
believe steering systems with 2, 3, or even 4 U-joints can be just as
precise, reliable, and safe as any, *IF* they are properly designed and
constructed. If not properly designed and constructed, *ANY* steering sytem
is hazardous.

I also agree with Glenn - if you can get by with one, all the better.

Dan