Re: Cooling

To: "Simon Holt" <simon.holt@tdsi.co.uk>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 19:44:39 -0000
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
That's just what my factory V8 did shortly after changing the stat.  The
first long run showed no symptoms, but on the return journey I was aware
that the needle was moving very slightly either side of the N.  As I watched
it moved further up the H side each time until it started going into the
red.  I knocked it out of gear, let the revs drop to idle and checked the
oil pressure and it was fine, indicating to me that the internal temperature
was OK.  When I got home I let it idle for a while, the temp crept up, the
fan cut in, the temp crept down, the fan cut out, just like normal.  As it
was doing this the idle oil pressure also fell slightly, again, just like
normal.

Conclusions from other people are that I got a duff stat.  Doing very little
mileage at the moment so haven't swapped it again yet, local journeys have
shown no tendency to swing since that one day.  The swinging is exactly like
when the car is warming up and the stat cycles a few times before settling
down to the N (except that normally it starts with big swings and then gets
smaller), which has always been much more pronounced on the V8 than the
roadster.

PaulH.
http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.hunt1/