Cooling

To: "'mgb-v8@autox.team.net'" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cooling
From: Simon Holt <simon.holt@tdsi.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 09:04:42 -0000
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I'm new to this list but I've searched the archives and can't see any previous
discussion.

The temperature gauge on my 1973 factory BGTV8 cycles from Normal to Very
Hot (in fact, off the end of the scale). I don't believe this represents the
true
engine temperature because the electric fan never cuts in unless the car is
stationary for some time. I've spoken to one other owner who has exactly the
same problem. Incidentally, I believe all parts in question to be perfect - the
engine has only 2000 miles after a professional rebuild; the rad, hoses and
'stat are new.

Is this to do with the famous air-lock problem caused by the low mounting
position of the header tank? If so, is the temperature gauge representative of
water temperature throughout the engine? And if so, why doesn't the
temperature in the inlet manifold water jacket get high enough to turn on the
fans? Alternatively, if the temperature gauge is NOT representative of the
engine temperature, is it actually representative of any part of the engine;
i.e.
is there a "hot spot" which (if I do nothing about the problem) could over time
become "damaged" in some way?

Simon Holt