RE: Tach mods

To: "'Keith Wheeler'" <keithw@sand.net>
Subject: RE: Tach mods
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 06:38:35 -0700
Cc: "'mgb-v8@autox.team.net'" <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
FfKeith,
Don't know about the tach (since I have a Factory GT V-8 which came
stock with an 8-cyl neg. ground tach), but I can give you some hints on
shop manuals.

First, you could go with the reprint of the Factory GT V-8 shop manual
supplement.  This manual is designed to be used in conjunction with the
Factory MGB shop manual.  Both Moss Europe and Brown & Gammons stock
this manual, I got mine last summer for around US$10.00. It has a pretty
good section on engine disassembly and rebuilding.

The other possibility is to invest in a Haynes manual for the Range
Rover.  Haynes always has good engine sections with lots of pictures.

By the way, I had a pretty hard time getting the rocker pedestals off
the shafts, they weren't quite an interference fit, but they were close.
I used both a soft jawed vice and a pipe used as a drift to get things
apart.  I wasn't concerned with preserving the shafts, since they were
going to be replaced anyway.  Next time I might resort to a propane
torch to apply localized heat to the pedestals to get them to expand
(having cleaned off all the residual oil first!).

Hope this helps
Paul Kile