I've got my flame proof jumpsuit on... (was: Re: Tire Sizes)

To: "Larry Dickstein" <bugide@tfs.net>, "Rick Huber" <102221.1716@compuserve.com>
Subject: I've got my flame proof jumpsuit on... (was: Re: Tire Sizes)
From: "Russell T. Neyhart" <vwruss@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 11:41:27 -0500
Cc: "MGB V8 List" <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Hi All,
  In reference to Rick's question, if you have room to move the wheel/tire
combination outward without rubbing the fenderwell (with wheels of a smaller
offset), assuming you haven't got flared fenderwells, you may be OK with 195
width tires.  I can't run out (it's a five hour drive) and look at my car,
so I can't be exact.
  Also, in reference to Larry's reply, a 195/60-14 and 195/60-15 would be
the same width.  The difference comes with the second number, which is an
aspect ratio of the width, meaning that in both cases the distance from the
outer edge of the wheel to the outer edge of the tire would be approximately
60% of the width.
  I've dug out an old issue of Grassroots Motorsports (Sept./Oct. '95) where
there is an application guide for Superlite wheels (looks like a Minilite).
They list the MGB as having a 4x114.3 (help me out folks if I'm off!) bolt
pattern.  They've got a 14x6 wheel with a 26mm positive offset listed.  If
you would like the page that lists the measuring procedures for wheels, and
the sizes/offsets/pcd's, I'd be happy to scan and send it.  Try this to
determine the wheel/tire combination diameter on your car, and how different
a potential combination is:

    (tire width x aspect ratio) x 2 + wheel diameter in mm = total diameter

You should be OK with your speedometer reading if you're within, say, 3% of
the original size (that the speedo. was calibrated for?).  They have a bunch
of companies listed that sell wheels of almost any diameter, width, offset,
and pcd.  E-mail me if you'd like them too!
Russell T. Neyhart
Manassas, Virginia