Re: Darn SUs

To: John.Gunnell@fwpubs.com
Subject: Re: Darn SUs
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 11:04:39 -0400
Hi John,
   The SUs are pretty trouble-free once set up, but there is something
amiss right now.
   I would start at the beginning of a regualr tune-up sequence by
adjusting valves. You have done that. Adjusting the valves won't cause
black deposits on the spark plugs. If deposits were caused by the valves,
it would be valve seals, and nothing you did when adjusting would have
affected the seals.
   Next review ignition and timing.  Probably OK, by these symptoms, but
worth checking.
   Then I would, because of your wonder about bad fuel, lift off the
float bowl lids and suck out the liquid. Put it into a glass and look for
water. ** If you don't find water, go to balancing.
   Balance the carbs with a uni-syn or another tool for the job. Some can
do this by listening to the hiss through a hose; I have never been able
to do it that way.
   Once balanced, adjust with the lift-the-piston method.
   Balance, adjust, balance adjust, etc until perfect, then tighten the
nut on the shaft and away you go.

   **As for water in the fuel tank--TD fuel lines come off the bottom of
the tank which is where the water accumulates.  If there was water in the
float bowl, you could disconnect the fuel line from pump to rear carb and
pump fuel into a glass jar. With luck, you could get out the water, which
would settle to the bottom of the jar.  A pint of dry gas could be
useful, though there is so much ethanol in fuel these days that I
wouldn't use more than one pint in a tank.

   The deposits you describe are similar to those I am finding on the
plugs of my TD MkII and '72 MGB, as well as a 7 hp Tecumseh on my Ariens
mower.  They might be normal for the fuel we are buying.

Bob