Re: Transmissions

To: david hall <dhhall@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Transmissions
From: John Seim <kingseim@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:40:29 -0800
I have installed the Skyhook Engineering Datsun 210 5 speed into a few
TD & TF vehicles. All had previously had the rear end gear ratio
conversion done to 4.3:1. With this transmission, the car becomes a real
road car. Braking is no problem, as the brakes were suitable from the
factory. An unexpected benefit is that the gearshift lever is moved
three (3) inches closer to the engine. Provides a great deal of leg
room. Finally, the right knee doesn't bang into the gear shift lever,
and you have a place to stretch out a little more, on long runs. I do
not have any knowledge about the Ford Sierra installation. I can say
that the Datsun 210 installation is completely removeable, with no real
trace of the car ever being modified.
I drove a Nissan Micro in England when there in 2001. Am guessing that
the engine was a 1300cc. Car was equipped with a 5 speed. Could do most
highway speeds very well. Had to down shift into 2nd on some hills.
Consider this... Nissan will probably warranty this car for 3 years,
36,000 miles. Car should last maybe 200,000 miles. It is the combination
of a 5 speed transmission, and the correct rear axle gear ratio, that
extends the engine life. Keeping the engine operating in its horsepower
and torque range, and keeping the engine rpm's at about 3000 extends
engine life.

John Seim
Irvine, CA