RE: TD slowdown

To: mg-t@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: TD slowdown
From: "Bill Traill" <bill@clovermachine.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:40:05 -0700
Bob,
You might have the same brake lining I use to have.

My TC's right rear wheel locked up in the middle of nowhere on the way to
GoF Spokane many years ago. The shoes were just rebuilt with a 'soft'
woven lining. I had determined the new lining was a little thick and was
rubbing the drum as the shoe was completely relaxed. I filed the shoe-rib a
little to get clearance and all was ok for the remainder of the trip.

Upon return I mentioned the problem to a friend (TD owner) who was a
'motor mac' in the Calif. National Guard. He told me the guard's trucks had
the same brake lining. On convoy the drivers would get bored and play with
the hand-brake adjustment knob. After a while the brakes would lock. That
type lining expands with heat. Any drag will cause heat.  His job was to
follow the convoy in a 'wrecker' and assist the stragglers. There were
always 2 or 3 locked brake problems in the 200 miles from San Jose, CA to
Camp Roberts. He would let them cool, re-adjust the hand brake knob, cuss
the driver and continue on.

My business partner is restoring a 1970 military deuce-n-a-half (2-1/2 ton off
road, 5 ton on-road). We went for a test run and the brakes locked; same
lining, too close. The wheels turned free on a jack stand!

My local brake shop tells me the soft-woven type linings are touted as
saving antique brake drums, but over time they polish the drum to a glass
finish and the braking ability suffers; that is my experience too.

Bill Traill
Santa Clara, California