Thermostat questions

To: mg-t@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Thermostat questions
From: MGTD2@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:21:03 EDT
Got tired of that piece of cardboard in my grille and decided to pull my
thermostat to check it out.  Seemed to be "open" all the time, necesitating the
old cardboard trick.

I'm using a modern thermostat adapted to the TD housing with the bypass hose
obstructed with a brass freeze plug into which I drilled a 1/4 in hole.  Car
's temp changed with the ambient temp.

In a pot of water, the thermostat was closed at 75' C and seemed to be fully
open at 90' C.
Seemd to check out okay.  So, how come it wasn't regulating my coolant temps
similarly?

Also checked out a more recently acquired stock thermostat and housing.  At
80' C it was just barely opening.  At 90'C it appeared to be about 75% open.
Somewhere above 90--maybe 92 or 95' C it was as open as it apparently gets,
with the bypass valve 100% "up" (closed).  Does that sound like a decent
thermostat to insall?

Also, how should it be adjusted on its threaded stud?  Do I wind down the
disc valve so that it is full shut when cold?  The previous owner seems to have
had it a few turns "open" at its cold position.  Might it need these extra
turns to insure that it has clearance to come maximally open at running temp?

Should I solder the threads before I install the entire contraption so the
disc valve does not rotate in use?

Thanks in advance for the collective wisdom of the group.

John Deikis
1953 RHD TD
...enjoying the turning leaves in Michigan!