Re: Shift lever removal

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>, "William T Snyder" <wtsnyder@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Shift lever removal
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:07:38 -0700
Bill,

If you have an old punch (or even an old screwdriver with a solid handle),
take it to the stone on your bench grinder and grind a nice gentle taper the
width of the groove in the shifter ball. Then you push the lever to one
side, insert the tapered tool down the groove and drive it downwards between
the pin and the ball. This action will force the pin out through the hole in
the shift lever housing. Repeat on the other side and out comes the lever.

As to your other question, the cost of having your lever
machined would probably be close to the cost of a new lever from Moss, even
assuming you could find someone willing to go to the trouble of doing what
you need done - a tricky operation as the lever is such a hard part to hold
in a lathe.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center