transmission help

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: transmission help
From: Mike Duvall <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 18:23:31 -0500
Hi all,  I need to do find out about my TD transmission. It is
difficult to shift into 3rd. If I careful and don't put too put much
load it slides into gear with a slight clunk. It pops out of third
easily and is difficult to downshift to 3rd.

I have been told it might be a fork. I noticed the top comes off.  Is
this likely a fork? What else could it be? Can I check some things by
taking the top off or do I have to put the entire transmission?

What should I do?

Thanks, Mike  (It was a great day for a spin here in Illinois but I did
miss the Champaign show yesterday because of the storms)