Filter bypass valve

To: "mg-tabc" <mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com>, "MG-T LIST"
Subject: Filter bypass valve
From: "Dave & Diana Dwyer" <dmdwyer@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 17:30:24 +1000
Gentlemen

In the later XPAG engines the filter bypass valve is in the oil pump, and it's
a unit spun over at the end, so if you take it apart it's not going to go back
together. I've looked at a couple, and they both had significant wear on the
domed valve face.

The older type XPAG just has a 1/2" ball in the valve - easy to replace - but
these late type would be difficult to refurbish; and if the valve leaks you're
not filtering some/all of your oil flow.

Since it seems highly unlikely that I'll neglect the filter to the point that
it gets blocked, I feel inclined to simply blank off the bypass. What are you
guys doing?

Regards

Dave Dwyer
J2, TA, TC