Re: Cold Valve Clearance

To: <BobMGT@aol.com>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cold Valve Clearance
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 19:39:54 -0700
Bob,

The first consideration is whether, in fact, the cam in your engine requires
the 19 thou clearance called for on the valve cover plate! If the engine was
just rebuilt it may have a newer cam requiring a more modern, smaller
clearance (or maybe even different clearances for intake and exhaust). Once
you've checked that point.................

.....the answer to your question is to add one thousandth for cold settings.
As a rule, the heat in a hot engine closes gaps by about a thousandth, so
adding one when cold will get you into a good ballpark for start-up and
initial running to bed in the new cam and lifters.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center