Re: Fuel Pump Back-up

To: "Ray McCrary" <spook01@home.com>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump Back-up
From: Andrew Moyce <amoyce@pol.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 21:16:22 -0400 (EDT)
I've just gotten a rebuildable SU fuel pump through EBay and plan to
use it as a backup for my TD.  I have read earlier threads on the
subject, and think I have four options.

1) Club wisdom (FWIW) is to carry an extra fuel pump in the toolbox.
Obvious drawback of trying to mount and plumb it on the road.

2) Since others have found that fuel will freely pass through a
non-energized SU,  I could mount it in-line under the car in front of
the fuel tank with a switch to turn on when needed.

3) It could be mounted on the bulkhead and outboard of the original
fuel pump a la TD mark II.  It could be plumbed in line with the
principal fuel pump and energised with an  A-B switch.

4) It could be mounted and plumbed exactly as in a Mark II, with both
pumps running all the time, and the assumption that one could take
over if the other failed.

I have transistorized my main fuel pump, and wasn't planning on doing
same to the backup pump

Comments, suggestions, potential problems?

Andy Moyce
52 TD