Re: Re: TD real axle grear ratio

To: amoyce@pol.net
Subject: Re: Re: TD real axle grear ratio
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 17:16:00 -0500
Hi Andrew,
  This may well be the most talked about topic. I think it's the one that
causes the most introspection about the owner's use of the car, peace of
mind, modification of a well-designed automobile, plus assorted other
factors.  I know that I worried about making the change of ratios for
several years before doing it.
  In my case, it came down to a matter of perceived survival of engine
and rear 1/4 of the TD.  One thinks of CT as being a state of back roads.
That's a perception only partly true. Along the coast, there are no good
ways to get east or west except by using Interstate 95.  Though that is
the name of the road, the condition of driver literacy is such that
drivers of normal cars, sport utes and 80,000 lb (rated, though invaribly
overloaded) semi trailers believe the speed limit to be 95.  There is so
much traffic on the roads at all hours that one simply doesn't have the
option to drive 55 in the slow lane. Doing that gets you passed by cars
driving the the breakdown lane. One does get to admire the variety of arm
and hand gestures that have been developed in New England.
  The alternative to I-95 is the old Boston Post Road, that runs pretty
much as it did in pre-revolutionary times, though traffic may be slower
today than then because of the stoplights.   E - W trips of more than 30
miles or so just require that one drive on I-95 rather than the Boston
Post Rd.  ]
  The ratio change actually works out quite well.  Since one shifts out
of first gear at about 5 mph with standard gearing, it's now more useful.
Second and third are as versatile as ever. The engine has sufficient
torque to push the car around town happily. Fourth is engaged at 40-45 or
so.    Having had the 4.1 gears for three years now, I think that they
have made it possible for me to get more use of the car than I could have
had otherwise, participate in more club events, travel to tech sessions
and to enjoy the driving (rather than dreading it) when forced to use the
interstate.
Bob