Fuel tank crud & rusting-out; possible ultimate solution?

To: mg-tabc@egroups.com
Subject: Fuel tank crud & rusting-out; possible ultimate solution?
From: CFritz7001@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:25:32 EST
    There has been a lot of recent correspondence re. two related problems
with T-type fuel tanks: Rusting out and/or developing layers of crud.  I
can't help but wonder if anyone has considered gutting the fuel tank
completely, then installing a modern "fuel-cell" within the shell that's
left?  There are several outfits that make up custom-sized / shaped fuel
cells for racing cars.  These cells amount to a multi-layered bladder made of
coated fabric, which is often filled with an open-celled "foam" to keep the
fuel from sloshing about.  Seems to me that one of these cell-makers might be
persuaded to develop and produce ones which would fit within T-type tanks.  I
could be wrong, but I think that the TA, TB, and TC models could all use the
same unit, and the TD & TF might also share a second style.  (It might even
be that a "0ne-style-fits-all" could suffice.)
    Seems to me that, since original-style replacement tanks cost as much as
$850 (Moss for a TC) and are somewhat scarce, a custom-made fuel cell should
be a viable and even affordable alternative.
    This approach would still preserve the original appearance of the car,
but give the benefits of a non-rustable tank, which is impervious to attack
by fuel additives, PLUS being much less likely to be penetrated in case of an
accident.  The only down side I can think of right now is that one MIGHT have
to do without the fuel-level warning setup, which may not be that much of a
loss at that.
    Another thought just occurred to me:  How about mounting a more or less
stock fuel cell in the space beneath the luggage compartment, leaving the
original tank in place for cosmetic reasons, but not using it for fuel?  A
filler neck could then be connected through the rear of the body and the
front of the existing tank, connecting to the original fuel-tank inlet.
    Right now, I'm too preoccupied  with planning a trip to England with my
TC to look into this idea myself.  If this idea has any merit, is there
someone out there who would "take up the cudgels" and do some investigating?
    Any volunteers?
Regards to all,
Carl Fritz