RE: Stripped bolt holes

To: Dick Dell <rddell@mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Stripped bolt holes
From: Lewis Palmer <lpalmer@vanstar.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 16:21:35 -0700

                -----Original Message-----
                From:   Dick Dell [mailto:rddell@mindspring.com]
                Sent:   Wednesday, May 19, 1999 5:58 PM
                To:     mg-t@autox.team.net
                Subject:        Stripped bolt holes

                Sad times.

                I have my TF somewhat apart to put in a new master cylinder
and I saw that
                the lower bolts securing the bell housing to the engine/sump
were missing.
                I acquired a few from Abingdon and when I went to put them
in place found
                that the threads in the sump are no longer viable (read
GONE).

                Do I need to pull the sump to have threaded inserts put in
the holes?

                No, but it sure makes it easier and more accurate.
                Can I
                use a helicoil (is one available for a Whitworth thread?)?

                Helicoil is what I did, but understand THESE ARE NOT
Whitworth or BSF threads. I think you will find that nearly all bolts in the
XPAG and XPEG engines are 8 mm x 1.0 fine thread metric. Originally, they
had a british size head, but the thread form is fine thread metric. You
should be able to find the correct helicoils at a good automotive shop,
especially one that may have its own machine shop.

                Regards,
                Lew Palmer