Re: Wire wheels

To: <mg-t@Autox.Team.Net>, <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: Wire wheels
From: "Bob and Carolyn Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 21:48:39 -0500
" Play" is a relative word. A bit of play is acceptable as long as you can
tolerate the slight " click' as the wheel reverses on the spline as you
accelerate and then brake. A good coating of a heavy grease on the splines
will minimize the play/click.
However, a better way to determine wear is to take some measurements. I am
referring here to a wheel type 42 Rudge-Whitworth splined hub as used on
all MGs, Triumphs, Healeys, Morgans etc. ( not type 52 Jaguar hubs ).   For
interest,  the 42 originally refered to the maximum size of outer bearing,
in millimeters, which can be used with that hub.  Also, this hub has 75
splines.
- A new 42 hub spline has a nominal 62.5 mm or 2.460" OD across the
splines.  I have measured several  reproduction new splines and the hub OD
was 2.455" ( very close ).
-The minimum usefull hub spline diameter is 2.424". The splines will become
very sharp as they approach this minimum outside diameter. Splines worn
below this diameter are not fit for service.
-The maximum internal diameter inside the wheel hub is 2.374", obvious
flattening of the internal serrations will be evident at this maximum . A
plug of 2.374" diameter should not pass through the wheel.

The degree of relative movement of the wheel and spline will increase as
you approach the minimum hub diameter and/or the maximum wheel internal
diameter.
I use a heavy grease on the splines and a light smear on the back cone and
knock-off cone and threads.
I always finally tighten and loosen the knock-off with the wheel on the
ground. Otherwise you are pounding on the wheel bearings, stub axle,
suspension as you beat on the knock-off.
Installing a new wheel on a worn spline or new spline on a worn wheel is
false economy as the worn parts may cause rapid wear on the new parts.
Installlation of new wheels and splines together is recommended.
Bob Grunau