Re: Wire wheels

To: vinttr4@geneseo.net
Subject: Re: Wire wheels
From: Rick/Carolyn <walters@mail.softcom.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 11:09:48 -0800
Hi Jack,

I got a uncle that name too.

A more serious note,  When speaking on Splines and looseness.  The best
way I know is to listen for a knock when stopping or starting.  If it
clunks it is way too loose.  If it Grinds when braking, the splines are
sliping don't drive too far like this.

The other way is to look inside the wheel for the wear marks.  The axle
spline is shorter then the wheel spline.  You will see and feel a raised
portion of spline inside the wheel.  They are located on the outside
edges as the axle rides in the middle.  It helps if you clean the grease
out first too.  I've heard of the sharp edges method but without a new
one to compare to it is hard to see the difference.

Also when installing them there should be very little lateral wobble.
Should be nice and tight.  Again this is hard to tell unless you have a
good one to feel the difference.

One word of warning, If you replace the wheel with a new one.  Spend the
extra money to buy a new axle spline.  They wear out together as a
pair.  And a new wheel will wear to the most worn part, ie. the axle.
After spending over a grand on new wheels you don't want to ruin them.

Hope this helps, as I just went throught the same thing.

Rick

--
52 MGTD,Sparky    74 MGB, B-tris    76 XJ12 Coupe, Jacque
60 Bugeye, Puddles      58 MGA Coupe, Ruby