Re: Noisy CB in my TD

To: "ROBERT G. HOWARD" <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Noisy CB in my TD
From: Charlie Baldwin <ewsinc@BlazeNet.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 13:13:03 -0400
ROBERT G. HOWARD wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>   There is a CB that I carry in the TD for club outings, and the problem
> with interference is considerable.  I have improved it to "tolerable" by:
>    capacitor on the distributor
>    resistor spark plugs
>    holding the CB in my lap, as far from the ignition as possible, when
> using it
>    sticking the magnetic antenna on the rear splash panel
>    putting a Kmart inline filter on the power supply.
>  It's still not crystal clear, but it's better. Please pass along any
> better ideas you acquire.
> Bob
>
> On Tue, 07 Apr 1998 20:55:52 -0700 Mark Sherman
> <MARKSHERMAN@worldnet.att.net> writes:
> >Any suggestions on how to eliminate/minimize engine interference in my
> >
> >(radioshack) CB when used in my TD?  It's ok at idle but when running
> >the
> >interference of the sparkplugs makes too much noise to handle.
> >
> >Mark Sherman

Bob and Mark,

I've had a similar problem with my CB in the TD. I converted to negative
ground and installed a "cigarette lighter" socket under the dash to plug
the CB into, later installed something from radio shack that was
supposed to cut down on static and also put a remote antenna
magnetically mounted on top of the gas tank and have had no luck with
using the unit this way. I did install resistor plugs but nothing on the
distributor. Perhaps the type of plug wires(copper wire and not resistor
type) we use are a problem?

When I use the CD with the battery pack there is no problem at all.

BTW, this T-series list is almost too quiet. Maybe a lot of the T series
folks got disgusted as I did with the original MG list and got off of it
and don't yet know about this one.

Charlie
'52 TD #14552
York, PA