Re: [Healeys] Dealing with the Highway Patrol

To: Len and/or Marge Hartnett <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Dealing with the Highway Patrol
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 00:08:44 +0000 (UTC)
The indicated speed was (more-or-less) exactly 11% low, which is what you'd
expect going from a 3.91 to a 3.54 rearend.

There's two parts to modifying a speedo for a different rearend: changing the
gearing on the tripmeter and odometer and changing the speed readout. The shop
did the former, but (apparently) forgot to do the latter. They fixed it
no-charge.

I checked the odometer against the roadside markers and it was spot-on, and
didn't notice the incorrect speed readout since I didn't have a GPS or other
means to calibrate. I've since found helpful websites that will give the
expected speed if you plug in gearing and RPMs.

bs

--------------------------------
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

Bob: You left us hanging! How did your GPS speed compare to the rebuilt
speedo? (I won't ask why you didn't know beforehand) ;-)

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031
Healeys@autox.team.net