Re: [Healeys] Brake servo repair - Pt. 1

To: Frank Magnusson <fmags@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Brake servo repair - Pt. 1
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 12:24:06 -0700
Frank,

I'm glad you wrote the List.  I bought one of the "banded" units for a
replacement/spare for my original Girling, which has the screw-attached
cover for the vacuum chamber.  I'll offer whatever info I can, but I
have a favor to ask in return ;)

As far as opening the canister, I had no luck trying to twist them apart
(doesn't mean it can't be done, though).  I ended up cutting the band
with a cutoff tool, then welding two nuts on either end.  On one nut I
drilled out the threads so a suitably sized bolt would go through and
engage the threads of the other, thus pulling the band tight.  I think
this setup will work but, unfortunately I haven't re-assembled the unit
because the rubber elbow to the metal vacuum pipe broke and I haven't
devised a suitable fix (my other unit is working fine so there's no
imperative to do so).

<continued>