RE: The Head is Off

To: Ned Smith <smithn00@kitepilot.net>,
Subject: RE: The Head is Off
From: Yellow 65BJ8 <rnbmail@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 09:55:16 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Ned,

With 87K on it, you can make a couple of educated
decisions;

1.  If it is not using much oil, and the oil pressure
is good - ie 40 plus hot, then the chances are the
motor has been rebuilt at least once.

2.  If it is using a quart every 500 miles, chances
are that it has about 50K since the last rebuild.

So it sounds like this is not a case of one cylinder
going bad on a 20K mile engine.  So back to my
suggestions - probably fixes 2 or 3 are appropriate.

Your compressions were pretty good, and even as I
remember - that is good. Let us know what the pre
noise engine/trans characteristics were on oil
consumption, water consumption, clutch operation,
synchro operation, and oil leaks.

Best, Robert.

--- Ned Smith <smithn00@kitepilot.net> wrote:

> This car has 87,000 miles on it. I don't know when
> it was last overhauled. I
> am asking the PO now.
> I recently got a Colortune and followed the
> instructions to get the proper
> mixture. I did that only a week before the ring
> broke. I hope that didn't
> cause the problem. Water temp never got over 195.
>
> Ned Smith
> BJ8
> near Chattanooga, TN
> N34.98 W85.5

Robert - Yellow 65BJ8
rnbmail@yahoo.com
Cell: 408-221-5244

If this email message has been received by you in error, please contact the
sender asap - Thank You.