RE: How big a deal in Concours?

To: "Richard Bittmann" <edmyed@harbornet.com>
Subject: RE: How big a deal in Concours?
From: "William Moyer" <William.Moyer@millersville.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 21:22:13 -0500
Rich,

My guess on the concours thing (and the reason you might not be getting a
numerical response) is out of the 12 points you say are alotted it is up to
the judge to assign deductions.  Meaning it's a "judge"ment call.  Think of it
this way.   Would you deduct the whole 12 points for a zipper?  How about if
it were purple and made of wood?  No, the whole thing wouldn't go away for a
zipper.  You've got fit, grain, color and other considerations I'm sure.  If
it were me, and it never would be, the most I'd deduct for the zipper would be
1/4-1/3 of the points.  If everything else was period and well installed, it
would be hard to deduct more. IMHO.

If you're dealing with this level of concern over concours deduction points
then on this one I'd spring for the "correct" option.  It's one of the
cheapest decions you'll have to make, although certainly not the last.

Leaks don't happen from the back on either one, they drip down your leg and
left arm, spray into your face and momentarily clear up the smear that the
windshield wipers make, counteracted by the smear on your glasses.  At least
in my experience.  Now I just weave in and out of the rain drops and avoid all
those problems.  This does cause some concern in the drivers behind me, but
that's their problem.

Bill Moyer, BJ7