Re: Removing the overdrive

To: "HEALEY LIST" <healeys@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Removing the overdrive
From: "Bob Yule" <autofarm@cyg.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 07:45:43 -0500
    Hi Ron, it is quite possible to remove the o'drive without removing the
transmission.  We have done it several times.  I don't really understand the
comment that the pump could be damaged, because if the cam is on backwards,
then nothing contacts the pump.
    It is necessary to remove the drive shaft completely, support the engine
& transmission on a good floor jack, unbolt the unit including the adaptor
plate and slide the unit down the tunnel, then tip the front up and over the
end of the main shaft.....it just clears.  When replacing, make sure the
splines are all in line at the back end of the o'drive, they will only turn
one way with a long screwdriver. Make sure the cam is positioned so that the
thin side is at the bottom.  You might need a wire around the pump to keep
it slightly depressed.  Don't know what else to tell you, except good luck!!
Cheers.......Bob
Check out our web site www.autofarm.net