Re: A deal that may be too good to be true

To: Austin-Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A deal that may be too good to be true
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:28:22 -0400
Ned Smith wrote:

>Today I got an e-mail from her today asking if I was ready to discuss the
>purchase. Even better, the $18500.00 included shipping anywhere in the US.
>She is willing (she says this is an eBay function but I can't find it) to
>have eBay hold a 25% deposit until the car is delivered, then I can accept
>the car or send it back.
>
>Usually, if something sounds too good to be true, it is.
>
>Any comments?

A typical scam involves invoking the name of eBay's Square Trade or some
such as the repository of the funds.  That's completely bogus, of
course; that's not what Square Trade does.  They'll give you a URL (to
do the funds transfer) that looks -- to the uninitiated or inattentive
-- quite genuine, but it actually has nothing to do with eBay, and once
you've sent off the money, it's gone, probably for good.

Not saying that's the case here, just letting you know about a scam
scenario that's been repeated too many times with these "too good to be
true" cases on eBay.
--
John Miller
Georgia