Re: BJ8 Rear seat belts

To: STEV0001@aol.com
Subject: Re: BJ8 Rear seat belts
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:41:56 +0800
Steve -

I'm doing this on my BJ8 right now.  Before doing this, I made the
following assumption:

1) no one over about 80 lbs in weight will use the back seat belts.

Once you realize this, the reinforcing plates that come with new a new
lap belt kit purchase (from Moss) will be enough reinforcement metal
to keep someone in the car.  With a BJ8, I have figured out that you
can install lap belts, elegantly and correclty, without drilling any
holes, and only mildly modifying the wood pieces on the back rest
panel.

For the outside belt mounts (left and right side), use the lower of
two holes (located in the wheel well) which is used to mount the back
rest panel to the car.  The upper hole will be enough for holding the
back rest panel in the car securely, and using the bottom hole will
allow you to fold the back panel up and down without interference from
the seat belts.   Of course you will have to cut some of the wood out
to make space for the mounting bolts, but these wood pieces are
readily available for cheap from a couple sources.

For the mount inbetween the seat, there is a hole in the sheetmetal
for the middle mount of the back rest panel's lower piece of wood.
This bolt hole is unnescessary for stabilization of the back rest
panel, as all the weight of the folding panel is carried on the two
outer bolts and not the inner one of the bottom strip of wood.

Putting a steel reinforcing plate under the hole will give it
sufficient strength to hold in an accident if the person isn't heavy.
Note to cut a notch on the back side of the reinforcing plate so that
the drain tube for the convertible top drain channel can be passed
through without interference.  You can mount the two center belts on
the same bolt.  Remember, only kids will be riding in the back, not
200lb adults!

The beauty of the set up is you can simply remove it all later if you
want to take the car back to original....

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8