geez

Re: Sticky Business

To: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Subject: Re: Sticky Business
From: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:55:03 -0700
Hi Jon,

The black helicopters have been dispatched...just stay where
you are and everything will be fine...  ;-)

The black goo is a potting compound that seals the
electronic components in place, making everything more
durable, vibration-proof, and water-proof.  It's an epoxy,
but there was a batch where the two parts weren't properly
mixed, so some of the stuff remained liquid.  If it's a
little sticky, but not flowing, that's fine, it's proven
harmless.  If it's soft enough to leak out of the cube,
that's bad, and I'll warranty it no matter how old.  I don't
want those leaky cubes out there.  I think we've gotten
pretty much all of them, but one occasionally still shows
up.

The bottom is just glued in place, and it coming off really
shouldn't have anything to do with the epoxy, though maybe
more to do with the "industrial velcro".  :-)  You can glue
it back in using model glue, or similar.

Call me if you have more questions.

--Byron
  888-909-0818

Rush wrote:

> My Co-driver's GEEZ cube bottom panel popped apart when I tried to
> remove it from the car on sunday. We use industrial velcro to hold it in
> the center console. Inside was a sticky black tar and little else.
>
> Have I screwed up the cube? What is the sticky black tar? How do I
> reassemble the cube securely? Will I be kidnapped by Byron's secret
> agents now that I know that GEEZ runs on top secret biological goo
> instead of electronics?
>
> Jon

///
///  geez@autox.team.net mailing list